By submitting your Entry, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
1. Entry Period: “The Prom Challenge”” Program (the “Program”) commences at 9:00:01 AM Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) on January 16, 2020 and continues through 11:59:59 PM (EST) on March 20, 2020 (the “Entry Period“).
2. Sponsor: The Program is sponsored and administered by When We All Vote (“WWAV” or “Sponsor”) in partnership with Viacom International Inc., on behalf of the “MTV” programming services. All inquiries regarding this Program should be directed to WWAV (PO Box 34673, 1400 L Street NW Washington DC, 20005).
3. Eligibility: The Program is open to legal residents of the United States who are currently enrolled as a full-time student or employed as a teacher or administrator in a public or private high school in one of the fifty 50 United States or the District of Columbia. No purchase necessary to enter. Entrants who are under the age of eighteen (18) must obtain a signature of their parent or legal guardian on their Entry and on all legal documents required to be executed in connection with the Program. VOID WHEREVER PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Employees and their immediate families (i.e., parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents, step parents, step children and step siblings) of Sponsor, Viacom Media Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc., Viacom International Inc. (“Viacom”), and their parent companies, subsidiaries and other affiliated companies, sponsors, advertising agencies and third party fulfillment agencies and their respective agents, employees, officers, directors, successors and assigns collectively, with Sponsor, the “Program Entities” are not eligible to participate. By participating in the Program, entrants: (a) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by the Sponsor, and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final in all matters relating to this Program; (b) to release and hold harmless Sponsor against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in the Program and/or use or misuse or redemption of the Grant (hereinafter defined); and (c) acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules.
4. To Enter: Fully and accurately complete the online entry form following the directions provided which can be accessed by logging on to mtvprom.whenweallvote.org. Follow the instructions to complete all required fields and actions and submit as instructed by no later than 11:59 PM (EST) on March 20, 2020 to count as one (1) “Entry”.
Each Entry must contain solely the Entrant’s original ideas and language. Each Entry should also include entrant’s full name, the name of the school in which he/she is enrolled and to be designated to receive the Grant (if selected as the winner) (the “Designated School”), age and phone number where he or she can be reached during regular business hours [Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (EST)]. Completed Entries, submitted in accordance with these Official Rules shall be collectively referred to hereinafter as the “Eligible Entries”. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
Incomplete and/or late Entries will be disqualified. Limit one (1) Entry per Entrant and per Designated School permitted.Entries that are illegible, incomplete or contain information other than as requested will not be accepted. No responsibility is assumed for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Program or by any human error which may occur in the processing of entries into this Program. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, delayed, mutilated, illegible or misdirected entries or any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion or the Internet or at any web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participants or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Program. If, for any reason, the Program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Program or for any reason Sponsor deems it necessary, Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, delay or suspend the Program due to any reason of a technical, creative or other nature. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void. By participating in this Program, Entrants acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules.
5. Grant of Rights: Participants hereby grant Sponsor and Viacom a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to, broadcast, publish, store, reproduce, distribute, syndicate, and otherwise use and exhibit the materials submitted, and any likeness of it in all media now known and later coming into being for purposes of trade or advertising without compensation or attribution. Participants represent and warrant that they have full legal right, power and authority to grant the foregoing license and if applicable, have secured from any participants in, and contributors to, their submission in order to grant such a license.
6. Judging Panel: The judging panel will be comprised of representatives from Sponsor and the MTV Social Impact team (collectively, the “Judges”). Please note: Judges reserves the right to conduct phone interviews with some or all of the entrants in order to clarify any information submitted on an Entry.
7. Judging Criteria/Winner Selection: Judges will select up to twenty (20) winning Entries from all the Eligible Entries received based on the following criteria, weighted equally: (a) Program Development (e.g. has the Entrant/Designated School taken measurable steps to develop programming to increase voter participation/civic engagement?), (b) Innovation (e.g. has the Entrant/Designated School demonstrated unique strategies to help students get registered?) and (c) Engagement (e.g. has the Designated School demonstrated active engagement in voter registration efforts?) (collectively, the “Judging Criteria”). The application of the Judging Criteria will be made by Judges in their subjective opinion..
The Designated Schools identified in the winning Entries shall be deemed to be the recipients of the Grants “, hereinafter defined (the “Grant Recipients”). For purposes of clarification, a participant who has submitted a winning Entry shall be referred to herein as a “Winner”. The selection of Winners, Grant Recipients and application of the Judging Criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Judges, and all awards are final. To the extent permitted by law, Sponsor disclaims any liability from, and Entrants (whether or not designated as a Winner agree to waive, any claims against Sponsor or Judges relating to the judging or awarding process. Sponsor maintains the right to evaluate, and if deemed necessary eliminate, any Entry submission before allowing it to be considered among the Eligible Entries.
8. Winners/Grant Recipients Verification: Winners and their Designated Schools, as a condition of receiving a Grant, must sign (a) an affidavit of eligibility and liability release releasing Sponsor, Viacom and each of their respective corporate parents, subsidiaries, employees, affiliated entities, consultants, volunteers, advertising agencies, from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with this Program or the use or acceptance of Grants; (b) except where prohibited, a promotional release granting the right to use their names and likenesses for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation and (c) additional legal documentation furnished by Sponsor verifying Winners/Grant Recipients’ acceptance of these Official Rules and the conditions of participation in this Program Entry into this Program constitutes all Winners/Grant Recipients’ agreement to sign such releases. Winners/Grant Recipients must also complete any additional legal documents provided by Sponsors and return them as instructed and in timeframe requested by Sponsor. Noncompliance by any participant may result in such participant’s disqualification.
9. Grants: Twenty (20) total Grants will be awarded as follows:
Grants: Twenty grants in the amount up to $5,000 will be awarded (each, a “Grant” and collectively, the “Grants”)
Grants awarded must be applied towards the costs associated with voter registration efforts at high schools, civic engagement initiatives at high school proms, and other initiatives agreed to or supported by the Sponsor and Viacom and will be payable directly to the Designated Schools associated with the winning Entries or an alternate designated organization approved by Sponsor and/or Viacom. No Grants will be made directly to an individual Winner. Grant Recipients are subject to the review and approval of Sponsor as a condition of receiving any Grant, pursuant to Sponsor’s corporate policies concerning charitable donations. In the event that the Designated School identified in the winning Entry is not approved by Sponsor, Sponsor shall use reasonable efforts work with the Winner to identify an alternate organization to designate as the recipient based on a list of Sponsor- approved organizations; provided, however that Sponsor shall have the right to make the final determination of any and all Grant Recipients. Any applicable federal and state taxes on the Grants are the sole responsibility of the Grant Recipients. No substitution or transfer of Grants, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
The exact number of Grant Recipients awarded and the exact amount and manner of disbursement of Grants will be solely determined by the Sponsor based on the quantity and quality of responses received for this Program. Sponsor reserves the right to determine more or fewer than twenty (20) Winners at its sole discretion.
Grants will be fulfilled by June 15, 2020, subject to change in Sponsor’s sole discretion, and receipt of a Grant by any Grant Recipient is subject to the following conditions: (1) Grant Recipients must sign all required legal documents provided by Sponsor and (2) Grants must only be applied to cover prom expenses and/or the expenses of voter registration and civic engagement initiatives within the Winners’ Designate Schools. Grant Recipients further agree to be bound by the guidelines and decisions of the Sponsor, which are final with respect to all matters of this Program.
10. Sponsor-Produced Programming: Sponsor and/or Viacom may, at their option, produce film/video of the Winners/Grant Recipients in connection with this Program and/or ancillary material captured during or relating to the Grant fulfillment events. Winners/Grant Recipients hereby consent to participate in the foregoing activities, as reasonably requested by Sponsor. All film/video/photo/audio/written material and programming created by Sponsor and or Viacom will be referred to as “Programming”. Sponsor/Viacom shall be the exclusive owner of the copyright and other rights in and to the Programming. Sponsor, Viacom and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, affiliated broadcast stations and networks and licensees will be able to use the Programming forever and throughout the world, and to license others to use it, in any manner Sponsor wishes and in any and all media now known or hereafter discovered or developed without notice, including for advertising, promoting and publicizing any of its products or services, such use may include portions and excerpts, in addition to cut in synchronized, dubbed and superimposed versions of the Programming. By participating in the foregoing activities/events, Winners/Grant Recipients acknowledge that Sponsor/Viacom may use the Programming in accordance with the permission granted herein without any compensation, royalty, payment, liability or obligation to the Winner, Grant Recipient or any third party. Neither Sponsor nor Viacom is under any obligation to broadcast or otherwise exploit the Programming.
11. General Terms: Noncompliance with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY A PARTICIPANT OR WINNER/GRANT RECIPIENT OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY A PARTICIPANT OR WINNER/ GRANT RECIPIENT THAT WILL BRING SUCH WINNER/ GRANT RECIPIENT OR PROGRAM ENTITIES INTO DISREPUTE (IN PROGRAM ENTITIES’ SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER/ GRANT RECIPIENT’S DISQUALIFICATION AS A WINNER/ GRANT RECIPIENT OF THE PROGRAM AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS A POTENTIAL WINNER/ GRANT RECIPIENT WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
The Program Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Program or by any human, mechanical or electronic error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Program. The Program Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Program. The Program Entities are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of this Program, errors in processing entries, identifying the Grant Recipients or in the announcement of the Grant Recipients. If, for any reason, this Program is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Program Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Program, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Program. Should this Program be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the Website during the Entry Period and the Grants may be awarded to recipients to be selected from among all Eligible Entries received up until and, or after (if applicable) the time of modification, cancellation or termination or in a manner that is fair and equitable as determined by Sponsor. All interpretations of these Official Rules and decisions by Sponsor are final. No software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message entries are permitted. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it suspects or finds (a) to have used a software generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message entry, (b) to have tampered with the entry process or the operation of this Program, (c) to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, (d) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person or (e) to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Program. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROGRAM IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE; PROGRAM ENTITIES RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE NEW YORK COURTS (STATE AND FEDERAL) SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THIS PROGRAM AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK SHALL GOVERN THIS PROGRAM. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS. Entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Program Entities from any and all liability resulting or arising from this Program, to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against the Program Entities, and hereby acknowledge that Program Entities have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the Grants awarded.
All entrants into this Program are solely responsible for consulting with qualified professionals and investigating, understanding and complying with any and all federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations and ordinances which may apply to entrants and the activities and/or business in which such entrants may engage. There may be tax consequences associated with the receipt of Grants that an organization may receive and with any income received by a Grant Recipient, which may include, without limitation, an obligation to report as income and to pay taxes on such funds/income to federal, state and/or local authorities. It is up to the Grant Recipients and the participant’s in such Grant Recipients’ project to determine the tax consequences of such funds/income, and to comply with all applicable laws in all respects, if applicable.
12. For inquiries related to the Program or the names of the Winners/Grant Recipients, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
The Prom Challenge
When We All Vote
PO Box 34673
1400 L Street NW
Washington DC, 20005
Please note on the front left hand corner of your outer envelope whether you are requesting “Official Rules” or the names of the “Winners”. Vermont residents may omit return postage if requesting a set of Official Rules. All requests for a copy of the Official Rules and for the names of the Winners must be made by June 1, 2020.